At Intact, insurance is not about things. It’s about people. It’s what we believe, and it shapes everything we do. It’s why we strive to provide a second-to-none experience for our customers and create an inspiring workplace for our employees to thrive in.
As Canada’s largest provider of property and casualty insurance, we’re not only leading our industry, but we’re redefining what it means to work for it. As a recognized top employer, we’re committed to living our values and supporting our dedicated people who bring their best to work each day because they know their work matters.
We’re looking for a Legal Counsel to join our growing team!
As a Legal Counsel, you will work as part of the Claims Litigation team providing legal representation to the claims department on Property/Casualty/Specialty Solutions litigation files. By utilizing your superior litigation and analytical skills, you will work to identify legal issues impacting on claim resolution and be able to develop a creative and proactive approach to file resolution.
This position is a full-time permanent opportunity. The successful candidate can be based anywhere in Alberta the focus of the work will be Edmonton based.
Here are a few ways you'll make a difference:
- Handle insurance defence files of varying complexities independently from beginning to conclusion
- You will join a high performing team of legal professionals driven to achieve Intact strategic goals related to indemnity and expense control
- You will work independently and collaborate with colleagues including lawyers, adjusters and the legal support team
- Your assessment of claims will focus on controlling indemnity but at the same time be pragmatic with a view to proactive and efficient resolution
- You will support your Intact colleagues from other departments with assistance on inquiries and with educational activities
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Alberta
- Minimum of five years experience in insurance defence litigation
- Ability to periodically travel throughout Alberta to defend claims brought in other Judicial Districts
- Experience in the following areas: Property Claims, Construction Litigation, Personal Injury, Subrogation, Director and Officers/Errors and Omissions Liability
- Proficient and comfortable with digital solutions in the practice of law
- Expertise in drafting pleadings, conducting discoveries and preparing for and conducting Trials
- Proficient in alternative dispute resolution including independent preparation and conduct of Mediations
- Superior organizational skills, including the ability to handle multiple case files simultaneously and independently
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build effective client relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, combined with research, negotiation and analytical skills
Here are a few reasons why others have joined our team:
- An award-winning, inspiring workplace that supports its people and recognizes great work (Canada’s Top 100 Employers, Aon Platinum Best Employers, LinkedIn Top Company, Glassdoor Best Place to Work & Top CEO, Indeed Top-Rated Workplaces)
- Stimulating, challenging projects and development opportunities to help you grow your skills and career
- Flexibility in how and where you work
- A comprehensive financial rewards program that recognizes your success
- An extensive, flexible benefits package
- An industry leading Employee Share Purchase Plan where we match 50% of net shares purchased
- A casual ‘dress for your day’ culture that encourages you to be yourself
- A $350 annual wellness account that promotes an active lifestyle
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Intact, our value of Respect is founded on seeing diversity as a strength, being inclusive and fostering collaboration. We value diversity and strive to create an inclusive, accessible workplace where all individuals feel valued, respected and heard.
If we can provide a specific adjustment to make the recruitment process more accessible for you, please advise the Talent Acquisition partner who reaches out about the job opportunity and they will work with you to meet your needs.
As an employer and publicly traded financial services company, the best interests of our customers, employees and shareholders are important to us. We want Intact to be a great place to work! This means that internal and external candidates will be asked to consent to background checks so we can learn more about you. Please note that for positions with access to financial data or funds, your credit must be in good standing.
For internal candidates, you can apply for a posted position if you have been in your current position for at least 12 months and are performing at a satisfactory level. Please note we may have identified other internal candidates through our Employee Development Program, and that the selection process may also be opened to external applicants.
Eligibility to Work in Canada
It’s important that you are legally eligible to work in Canada at the time an offer of employment is made. You may be requested to provide proof of eligibility at that time.
For more information, contact Judy Alwan at email@example.com. This posting closes on April 28, 2021 at 11:59PM.