The Cecilia Johnstone Award for Outstanding Service is named in honour of the first female president of the Canadian Bar Association - Alberta Branch, who went on serve as national president of the CBA, and was a champion for lawyers across the country. It recognizes exceptional involvement, dedication and service to the CBA Alberta.
Cecilia Johnstone, Q.C. passed away in April 2006, and in March 2007 the Outstanding Service Award was officially renamed the Cecilia Johnstone Award for Outstanding Service in honour of her memory.
- any member of the Canadian Bar Association Alberta Branch in good standing
- members of the Executive Committee of the Branch are not eligible for the award
- Past Presidents of the Branch are ineligible for the award for a period of two years following the expiration of their term on the Executive Committee
- no more than one award may be awarded in any one year
- no award needs to be granted in any one year
- there are no posthumous awards
The award will be presented at a CBA Alberta event in a time and manner appropriate for the presetige of the award. If required, recipients of the award will have their travel expenses paid to atten the awards presentation, in accordance with the existing policies and procedures of the Alberta Branch.
- Members of the CBA Alberta Board of Directors, or any current Section chair may make nominations
- Nominations shall be accompanied by a letter disclosing the nominee’s name, address, telephone number, and a brief submission outlining the nominee’s suitability for the award.
- All supporting documentation shall be submitted to the Edmonton or Calgary offices of the Alberta Branch by April 30.
The selection committee includes the President, Vice President, Immediate Past President, and the Executive Director of the Alberta Branch. The selection committee also includes one North and one South Section Coordinator.
The Cecilia Johnstone Award for Outstanding Service was last awarded to to Gillian D. Marriott, Q.C. in 2015. Click here to see a full list of past recipients.